24.9.07

I love the smell of fresh paint in the corner.

Some observations:
People do not like to be proven wrong.
Some people would rather look right while remaining wrong, than become right after looking wrong.
People assume that if you think that they are wrong, that you also think that you are right.
People do not like being told the rules governing what is and is not a reasonable argument.
People do not like being told that there are such rules.
People really do not like being told that questioning such rules is incoherent (because in doing so they tactily accept them.)

4 comments:

Matthew P said...

There is a beauty in the scar of footprints, whose depth exceeds that of a smooth, unspoilt surface.

Nathan said...

Potential application of observations:?

A good way to convince people of something, is to convince them that they came to that conclusion themselves, or in fact, always held to that conclusion, but were using different wording to you.

era said...

Hmmm, I hadn't considered that there might be possible applications. I was more just complaining that people are noobs. But I think I'm more interested in discovering truth through an argument than just convincing people that my position is correct.

Christina said...

ooh! Reuben, I saw this today and thought of you. Well, actually your Mum. (OK, that sounds wrong - I thought of how you're into all those Yo Momma jokes).

Yeah, so anyway...
http://www.splitreason.com/productdetail.php?id=286
so much awesome!